So for those of you who live too far away from Boston but are stuck in what is known as the "Heart of the Commonwealth," this group is for you!
Named after Worcester, England, the city has a population of approximately 181,045, making it the second largest city in New England (after Boston, of course)! Since it’s considered the “Heart of the Commonwealth,” a heart is the official symbol of the city. You will see it displayed on all the street signs throughout the city.
Worcester and Central MA has multitudes of activities to offer, including amazing historical elements, museums, awesome outdoor activities, vineyards, breweries, and multitudes of other valuable and exciting adventures for you to experience. Grab some food or drinks at one of the many different restaurants! We even have our own AHL professional hockey team; the Worcester Sharks!
Random Facts about Worcester:
* Worcester was first named Quinsigamond by the Native Americans which means "fishing place for pickerel," however, in 1684, it was changed to Worcester.
* The smiley face, birth control, monkey wrench, envelope folding machine, triple-decker, and valentine cards were invented here.
* On June 9, 1953, an F4 tornado swept through the city killing 94 people making it the 21st deadliest tornado in the history of the US. Over 1,000 people were injured and over 4,000 buildings were damaged.
* On December 3, 1999, a fire broke out at the Worcester Cold Storage Warehouse that made national news. Two homeless people who were mentally disabled and living in this storage warehouse knocked over a candle. The fire went on for 6 days before it was controlled and it was given a five alarm status. Six Worcester firefighters died in the line of duty.
* Elm Park is one of the first public parks in the United States (it was not the first as stated on a plaque in the park)
* Rutland, MA (located 13 miles northwest of Worcester) is the geographic center of Massachusetts. There’s even a tree called Center Tree to mark the spot!
There are several colleges and universities throughout Worcester and Central Massachusetts:
Anna Maria, Assumption College, Becker College, Clark University, College of the Holy Cross, Fitchburg State University, Massachusetts College of Pharmacy and Health Sciences, Nichols College, Quinsigamond Community College, Salter College, Tufts Veterinary School, UMASS Medical School, Worcester Polytechnic Institute, Worcester State University
There are a lot of things to do in and around Worcester contrary to what people like to think! Enjoy this lovely city and all that it has to offer!
Created: Aug 14, 2008
To post in this group you must become a member. Just click the 'Join Group' button.