The Atlas Mountains of Ourika Valley & Setti Fatma
The Ourika Valley in the High Atlas starts under 1 hour's drive south east of Marrakech, It sits thirty kilometres from Marrakesh, and offers a pretty escape from the summer heat of the city. Rising to around 1,200-1,500 metres, this is an ideal area for gentle hiking and is also popular with both Moroccan and visiting artists.
Near the head of the valley, surrounded by the peaks of the High Atlas, is Setti Fatma, a village which is popular with visitors and which has been largely rebuilt after being subject to severe flooding in 1995. The village is a relatively quiet typical Berber village, well worth a wander around if time permits. A short walk and a bit of a scramble above the village are seven medium sized waterfalls; however, at times in the year these are inaccessible. If you visit the waterfalls take the time to return to the village . The small cafes at the bottom of the climb to the waterfalls offer great tagines.
Setti Fatma is also home to one of the major Moroccan festivals. The Moussem takes place in August and, although only Muslims can enter the Koubba, there is a large accompanying market and fair open to all.
Every MONTH, we will be very pleased to organise a DAY trip to the Atlas mountains and enjoy a full day in WATERFALLS of Sti Fadma Ourika VALLEY.
If anyone is interessted to join us, here is the program:
08h30 - 08h50 : Meet in front of Post office - Jamaa Lfna (Be punctual).
09h00 : Taxi to STI FADMA (from Jamaa lafna, 70 dirhams by person for round trip).
10h30: Mountains and waterfalls of Sti Fadma.
11h00 - 14h30 : start Climbing Mountains, enjoy the waterfalls, take pictures and discover the Beauty of nature in STI FADMA.
15h00 : LUNCH (Berber TAJIN and Moroccan tea)
16h00 : walking in the river Sti Fadma - optional
17h30 - 18h30 : come back to Marrakech
If anyone is up for drinks or party then no problem.
"The Africa Biggest Meeting - New Year party 5Th EDITION 2014":
FUN NOTES :
- People who can bring their musical instruments are very welcome to play and sing for us and we will sing together ;)
- If you can bring a flag of your country we could have on pictures.
- Be cheerful in the crowd.
The way up to the waterfalls is rocky and as we go up we'll encounter several waterfalls untill we reach the seventh waterfall which is the biggest one in which we could rest and take pictures all together.
The way we first take is not the same we take when coming back ; the later is a bit hard i therefore ask everybody to stay together.
PLACE TO EAT:
Our firt trips we ate at a berber café but then we discovered a great place with a view over the Berber villages and the beautiful mountains and the river and most importantly very sunny.
We put carpets and cushions on the ground and we sit and eat in the Moroccan style , 4 persons by Berber tajine.
If any of you is a vegetarian or vegan please do let us know before.
I have had people telling me they will send me the pictures after being the trip but few do. So i call upon all of you to send nice pictures of the trip to:
Just to give others the chance to see what the trip is about.
- You should bring proper shoes for moutains
- Who has a selfish tendency and does not cope with team spirit please stay away from this event, So WE STAY IN GROUPS !
- Who does not have a page on couchsurfing should not join otherwise they should as soon as they can.
- In the mountains be careful.
- Send a message to the organizer to confirm, if you don't have time to confirm should not join us !
- If you have any comments on the organization or criticism you can share with us in the group of the event.
- Let me invite you to join group "DAY TRIP TO THE ATLAS MOUNTAINS - Marrakech" Link: