Location: Places >> North America >> United States >> New York State >> New York City >> Biking in New York
about biking in new york
* ALWAYS LOCK YOUR BIKE and any removeable parts with a serious lock, especially at night. Bicycle thief vultures lurk.
* Riding a bike, especially with others, is one of the best way to see a city, and NY is a great example.
* There are 1000s of locals and visitors who ride bikes
every day in New York. They're easy to join:
* NYC is highly accessible by bicycle.
* NYC has great car-free trails throughout the city.
* During non-rush hour, bikes can and should be taken
on the subway, staten island ferry, and roosevelt
island tram. When riding the subway, back your rear
wheel up to the door connected to the next subway car.
* Taking your bike on the Metro North, LIRR, and
NJTransit is convenient, cheap, and fun. Talk to the
conductor when you board so he can tell you where to park.
* Many local bike maps, blogs, and more info are on:
* Bicycling common sense applies in new york city.
Lights, helmets, rush hour, flat tires, aggressive
* The most useful asset in your pocket is the nyc
bicycle map, available for free at any of the hundreds of
bike stores in nyc.