Location: Places >> Central Asia >> China
Login for full access to Couchsurfing Groups. Not a member yet? Join our community!

Work permit in China
Posted December 22nd, 2012 - 2:37 pm by from Berlin, Germany (Permalink)
I have a question regarding work permit in China. As far as my research goes, it is not enough to have F or temporary 60-day Z visa. My chances to obtain a legal work permit are very low because I don't have two years of work experience abroad. Also, at the moment I'm not looking for a job like language teaching, translation services, modeling or any other unstable, freelance-like, low-paid employment, for which, as far as my research goes, it's often enough to have F visa. I am looking for a job in a big multinational company or possibly for a management position at a start-up company.

I heard different things from different people; some people say they easily found a good job while holding F visa, other people say it's impossible to get a *really good* employment, especially what concerns international companies, if one doesn't have a work permit.

Does anybody of you guys have experience with obtaining work permit in China? Any tips? I'm confident that my CV should be enough to get the job I want but the visa issue might ruin all my plans. I wonder if it's something I could deal with and find the way around or whether it really IS a big issue for foreigners in China. It seems conceivable to me that some, if not most, companies might not even want to contact me as soon as they see on my CV that I don't have two years of work experience and therefore cannot legally obtain a work permit.

Also, I know there are some visa agencies which can organize a work permit in exchange for a fee but I can't see how it could work without my having two years of work experience abroad and a work contract; is it just a scam? Can anybody recommend me a reliable agency? Is it really possible to get a work permit through such an agency BEFORE having a job offer?

On a side note, I wouldn't mind paying extra money if there was any service that could reliably solve the work permit problem.

In addition, somebody told me that they got a visa by photoshoping their graduation certificate and making a fake work contract but I don't think this is a good idea at all; still, just for the sake of curiosity, does anybody have experience or knows anybody who's done a similar trick?

Posted December 22nd, 2012 - 5:36 pm by from Seattle, United States (Permalink)
Having asked a similar question recently my advice is look elsewhere for answers. Often CS is a great source of information, not really the case for this type of question it seems.





Seemed to get a better response there, and also to some extent there is probably is no answer. A lot of contradictory opinions, but still worth trying I think.


Posted December 23rd, 2012 - 5:03 am from Karamay, China
This member has chosen to allow only Couchsurfing members to see their group posts. To see this full converstion, sign up or log in.

Post removed.
Posted December 25th, 2012 - 1:46 am by from Berlin, Germany (Permalink)
This post has been removed by the user.

Deleted Post
Posted December 25th, 2012 - 1:48 am by from Berlin, Germany (Permalink)
Thank you guys for your replies.

Oliver, I am actually already here. (My last login is misleading because I'm using VPN service.) I am currently holding an F visa. I haven't started looking for a job yet.

But that's exactly the problem -- I don't have two years work experience, so theoretically I can't get legally a work permit. So if an agency can fake it for me, then I could get the work permit, right?

As I researched more, I did in fact realized that it's not possible to get a work permit before having a job offer. Now I'm concerned that some or many companies might refuse to consider me as a potential employee because they see that I don't have two years work experience on my CV.

I was quite relieved to read that you're saying as long as one has a degree, work experience is not that important. However, I know some foreigners who had troubles finding the right kind of employment just because of the two year rule.

Posted December 26th, 2012 - 1:33 am from Karamay, China
This member has chosen to allow only Couchsurfing members to see their group posts. To see this full converstion, sign up or log in.

Posted January 3rd, 2013 - 1:33 am by from Hobart, Australia (Permalink)
Hey Diana,

Second to Oliver on this one. I obtained a "Z" work permit for my first official job in Beijing at the click of a finger through my old company who employed me on a by-word, permanent basis, without even a 'signed' contract. It just requires the company to be legally registered to employ foreigners - there is a special document for this that they will need to show during the application process.

But the main thing to concern you is - if they want you for the job, they'll get you the visa (if they're in any way serious and legitimate about their business). Having a degree is part of the requirement, along with relevant work experience (a suitable CV). I'm not sure where that 'minimum 2-year experience' thing comes into play, or if it's a new rule? I applied back in 2010, and through my company, it was lengthy, but easy - they took care of pretty much everything.

So in short, if you are the woman for the job - I wouldn't worry too much at this stage about whether or not you'll be 'eligible' for the visa.. But rather, focus on killing those interviews and refining your chances, convincing them why you're worth the Yuan ;)! Then you can ask them later to confirm if they'll provide you the Z visa or not.. It should be in their best interests, as much as it is yours.

Best of luck!!! :D


Posted January 4th, 2013 - 4:59 am by from Guangzhou, China (Permalink)
I'd agree Ryan that if the company wants someone they will find ways to get the VISA with less than 2 years experience.

From my experience though you don't always need a degree. I work for a UK manufacturing company and there are 3 of us employed here on work permits with 3 year residence visa's and none of us have degrees. We all have UK HNC's (college technical education) but what all 3 of us have is 15+ years experience each and have worked for the same compnay for >10 years in the UK.

So there are generally ways to get round (or work within) the rules in China if the compnay knows how or can use agencies who know how.

good luck Diana finding what you want :-)