Location: Places >> Central Asia >> China >> China Visas
Login for full access to Couchsurfing Groups. Not a member yet? Join our community!

French extension of visa for study paint with private teacher
Posted November 2nd, 2012 - 6:02 am by from Seoul, South Korea (Permalink)
I am a french artist and i want to learn china paint (or have an initiation) .
Of course, my tourism visa is too short (one month).
Is it possible to have extension for private lesson ?
I'm in Ulan Bator, i take train for Beijing tomorrow and i want to discover Beijing a little, go in the south west. After i want stop to learn paint.
I have a very low budget. So distance take time to accross... And one month for a big country !!!! wahou...
If you have ideas for help me, let's go.
Thank you, have a good trip.

Posted November 2nd, 2012 - 7:25 am from Shanghai, China
This member has chosen to allow only Couchsurfing members to see their group posts. To see this full converstion, sign up or log in.

Posted November 2nd, 2012 - 9:42 am by from Seoul, South Korea (Permalink)
Hi Br,

Thank you for your answer.
Yes, it's more difficult for french. I request my first chinese visa in Oulan Bator, and the consulat asked a lot of papers : invitation, 3 extracts of bank count, paper for insurance, book of airplane and hotel (real or false)...
And one year ago, it was easy to request a Chinese visa in Oulan Bator : just passeport + photo.
Is it possible to request the third request in Taiwan ?
And if i go out China for the third request, can i ask a business visa or a multiple entries visa ?
I must go in Russia for voluntary in march and i won't come back in Russia with airplane... I want to continue my roadtrip...

Posted November 2nd, 2012 - 11:02 am from Shanghai, China
This member has chosen to allow only Couchsurfing members to see their group posts. To see this full converstion, sign up or log in.

Posted November 2nd, 2012 - 12:20 pm by from Seoul, South Korea (Permalink)
Ok, sometimes stories of visas can change the road... So, i imagine a new direction but i am not sure it's possible. I read your explain but with my bad english, maybe i didn't understand all...

My plan :
- go in China, firt visa, 1 month, entry Nov 4th
- China with bike and tent, from Beijing to Guilin
- In the road, extension from nov 27th to dec 27th
- Dec 27 (around of course), entry in Taïwan
- 3 month in Taïwan without visa, learning paint, bike, tent
- Request third visa for 1 month in China since Taïwan.
- 1 month in China until the north
- entry in Russia with business visa (it would be ok, i have a plan)
What's possible, i don't know ? Is it realistic ? Maybe i will see in the moment, i imagine...
I will post where you indicate me too.
Thank you.

Posted November 2nd, 2012 - 1:27 pm from Shanghai, China
This member has chosen to allow only Couchsurfing members to see their group posts. To see this full converstion, sign up or log in.

Posted November 2nd, 2012 - 2:27 pm by from Shanghai, China (Permalink)
Hello Isa,
I will write in French as you mentionned that You do not understand all that Manfred wrote.

Ton trajet a l'air correct mais il me semble qu'il fera bien froid dès novembre pour faire du vélo ! Es tu bien équipée ?!

les "extensions" de visa se font lorsque tu es déjà présente sur le territoire chinois. vu que tu te diriges vers le sud, nous te conseillons de te rendre à Chengdu (magnifique ville) où tu pourras effectuer cette démarche.
quelques liens :
cette page ne donne pas d'information sur une extension de visa mais indique l' administration que tu peux contacter pour de plus amples informations.
=> Autorité en charge: Bureau de la Sécurité Publique de Chengdu Tél: 028-86407067

en plus , tu as le consulat de France à Chengdu, qui pourra te guider si vraiment tu galères.
(departement demarches administratives telephone : (0)28 6666 6060 )même si ce n'est pas de leur ressort, ils pourront peut être t'informer.

Il est plus compliqué de demander un visa business qu'un visa touriste pour la Chine.

Je ne connais pas non plus les démarches qu'il faut faire en étant à Taipei pour obtenir un visa vers la Chine.
Par contre si je me réfère au site actions visa, il n'est pas possible de faire un visa touriste avec entrées multiples.

je reste à ta disposition si besoin !

a bientôt sur Shanghai peut être !

Posted November 3rd, 2012 - 12:36 am by from Johns River, Australia (Permalink)
Ce n'est pas possible de voyage du Chine a Taiwan directment: on dois prendre un avignon de Hong Kong. Et c'est vrai ce que Manfred a dit, on ne peut pas fait un application pour le Chine en Taiwan. On peut fait l'application en HK, ou il y a les agents en Taiwan qui fait l'application, pour un prix, naturalment.

Cherche pour un couche in HK longtemps en avance parceque il y a beaucoup de persons qui cherche mais pas beaucoup des hosts

It's not possible (for foreigners) to travel from China to Taiwan directly, you must fly from Hong Kong, for example. What Manfred said is true that you cannot get a vis for China in Taiwan. You must apply in HK or get an agent to apply for you in taiwan but of course there is a significant fee.

Look for a couch in HK well in advance as there are many CS'ers and fewer hosts.

Posted November 3rd, 2012 - 1:15 am by from Seoul, South Korea (Permalink)
Yes, i think it's different for french, for political reasons (political positions ans actions in favour of Tibet).
But it's difficult too for other people on west europe.

Maybe it's a little cold for across in bike you are right.
I can at first take train, and in south buy a bike. Maybe it's better.

There is a boat who across sea to go in Taiwan from China. WWhen you see it's impossible to go in Taïwan from China, i suppose it's a question of visa and not a question of transport ? And i won't take airplane (it'smy game) :-)
I search others possibilities so.
French don't need visa to go in Taïwan less than 3 months. So, what is it impossible to go in Taïwan from China ?
Thanks :-)

Posted November 3rd, 2012 - 2:26 am by from Seoul, South Korea (Permalink)
A link (in French) about this question to across by boat :


I sent a message at TaIwan embassy in France to have more informations about this possibilities.
When i have the answer, i give you informations...

For the second question, it will be possible to ask a chinese visa in Tapei by travel agence...maybe ?

If this twos possibilities exists, and if it's possible to have ink lessons in Taïwan (i am not sure), i try !!!
If no plan will be change ;-)

Posted November 3rd, 2012 - 5:44 am by from Johns River, Australia (Permalink)
OK, there might be some special issue for French persons, but I doubt if it is much because I have met many French in China....you also say for other Europeans. I don't know where you get this idea as there are many many Euro persons throughout China. Overal, China is a very easy country to get a visa for...tho it is making it difficult if you are not in your home country or have a residency in the country you apply from

Yes there is a boat and there are planes crossing the Straits to Taiwan, but only Chinese nationals and Taiwanese can use them.

Posted November 13th, 2012 - 10:40 am by from Seoul, South Korea (Permalink)

I send an email at taiwan consulat in France.
They said me it's possible for foreigner to take the boat from China To Taïwan (Xiamen to Taïwan).
They said it's impossible to ask a Chinese visa in Taïwan.

They don't talk about this, but it would be possible to ask the visa in Taïwan (by post or by agence, not by consulat).
Or, other possibility, to go in Hong Kong.

About Frenchs, european or american people and problems with visa, i haven't the true, it's just observation of exeperiences.
If i speak about my experience, it was the most difficult visa for me (a lot of paper are asked, in Oulan Bator, but the same for a request in France : 3 extract of bank count, invitation, train ticket or airplane, book in an hostel for tree days, insurance, etc.)
May be it's not the most difficult in the world, but it's not so easy...

Posted November 15th, 2012 - 11:17 pm by from Johns River, Australia (Permalink)
Thanks for the feedback Isabelle.

I am surprised about the boat from Xiamen to Taiwan: it must reflect a further relaxing of controls and openness in the 'cross Straits issue'. I will make enquiries from friends in Xiamen and see if I can find out more and pot it here and other forums.

The problem in Ulan Bator: I think all travellers should assume they will face this problem.

Posted December 12th, 2012 - 2:48 am by from Seoul, South Korea (Permalink)

Just about French and chinese visa :
In HOnk Kong, travel agence sell visa. Simple, double, multi. 1 month, 6 months, 12 months.
For all nationalities, except for french. For french, they sell only visa for 30 days (simple, double).
I send them a mail :
They said me :

"Dear Customer.
Thank you for your email again.
Even a 6 months multiple entry visa can not apply for France passport holder.
The Chinese embassy not allowed Franch passport holder apply more then 30 days visa.
Thank you"

Posted December 12th, 2012 - 3:14 am by from Johns River, Australia (Permalink)
Thanks for that Isa, I'm sorry I doubted you before :)

I have also confirmed that it is now possible to go by boat from Xiamen to Taiwan, a newer policy, and the fare is about 100 rmb (say $15). So again, I was out of date, sorry

To everyone, please keep feeding information in about your visa experiences.


Posted December 12th, 2012 - 3:35 am by from Seoul, South Korea (Permalink)
No problem ;-)

Now, i didn't find solution for go in Taïwan.
We can take the boat, we can go 3 months without visa... but immigration service ask a ticket of continuation (airplane) or a chinese double entry visa.
I need to prove I will leave Taïwan.

For request my others visa, i gave simulation of airplane and it was ok, but here, i don't know if imigration accept internet ticket when they control people.
If embassy refuse my simulation airplane, it's ok, i serach others solutions, but if immigrations services refuse, what i make with my end of visa ? Maybe it's a risk i can take...

Other possibility : i will go in Russia for voluntary with business visa in july and after 3 months i need to leave, it's term of visa. And i can come back 3 month again. SO i can go in Taïwan beetween my two visits in Russia, because in Mongolia it's possible to have double entries.

In Hong Kong, double entry is possible too but if i leave Hong Kong i use my first entry, so it's not ok for Taïwan.

In Vietnam, no. If somebody know with possibility by travel agence in Vietnam or in Thaïland, i'm interrested too.

See you.

Posted December 12th, 2012 - 5:10 am by from Johns River, Australia (Permalink)
Obviously a fake internet confirmation is best but an alternative is to buy a refundable air ticket from Taiwan to say Hong Kong. Full price tickets are usually refundable or you can receive credit.

Posted December 12th, 2012 - 5:34 am by from Vienna, Austria (Permalink)
I am not French but this s*cks and unfort it could happen to any country almost at random.

I got a double entry 60-day visa which actually means 60-days on each entry on Sep. 13 in Kuala Lumpur and I am neither a Malay citizen nor a resident, so there doesn't seem to be a rule ... but I have the feeling that it helped that I had my old passport with numerous Chinese visas with me. I am not completely sure but I guess that subsequent visas are easier than the first one.

Isa, would you mind sharing the e-mail address of that agency, I might need one at some point next year.

When I entered Taiwan from mainland China back in 2009 (by air), i was not asked to show a return ticket, I think. You might want to check airasia.com for possible cheap flights to HK or elsewhere. They sometimes run incredible promos and as far as I know you can cancel the trip and would only be charged for the base fare which could be fairly cheap.

Good luck.

Posted December 12th, 2012 - 11:47 am by from Seoul, South Korea (Permalink)
Hi Walter,

I think they didn't ask you because you was by airplane.
The travel agency in Honk Kong is Japon Travel Agency.
They have a website.
I think the problem is not really the ticket of airplane but the price of travel agency who sell the chinese visa in Taïwan.
So, i will go in Honk Kong for ask a double entry.
It was a mistake, isn't it when i said : "In Hong Kong, double entry is possible too but if i leave Hong Kong i use my first entry, so it's not ok for Taïwan.".
If i go out Hong Kong, i use my first entry, and when i leave Taïwan, i use my second, isn't ?
The price is Hong Kong is more honnest.
Paul, you spoke about 100 RMB only, i didn't have this information. Do you know where exactly, wich compagny, i didn't see this.
Thank you.
Nice evening.

Posted December 12th, 2012 - 2:23 pm by from Johns River, Australia (Permalink)
Yes Isa, if you post the email address and or website of the agency in here, I'll include it in the list of agencies in the Group space.

And in reply to where to buy the 100rmb boat ticket...I'm asking... will post if I get info

Posted December 12th, 2012 - 3:14 pm by from Seoul, South Korea (Permalink)
Differents prices are in the website :

Posted December 13th, 2012 - 3:07 am by from Seoul, South Korea (Permalink)

I asked others informations at the travel agency because finally, i wanted to go in HOng Kong for the visa.
Answer :
"Dear Customer

It is more difficult for Franch passport to get the china visa in Hong Kong .
We are not 100% sure that you can get china visa or not it determined by the Chinese Consulate."

Just for info :-S

Posted November 3rd, 2012 - 12:05 am by from Johns River, Australia (Permalink)
Sorry Manfred, but a visa issued inside China is a NEW visa, not an extension: that you must already have a visa issued overseas is a normally PRECONDITION for obtaining one. It is a NEW visa because the moment it is issued it cancels the existing one and more important the new visa has different conditions, eg it could be a different class, eg an F visa replacing the Z (tourist) visa.

You are right that you cannot get a multiple entry visa inside China. Also you cannot normally get more than a single entry visa from a country where you do not have a residency status.

Also, as you say, your nationality and the country you are applying in also affect the conditions for issuing a visa.

I actually mentioned asking on the Travelchinaguide.com site, the one you quoted is this site! :)


Post removed.
Posted November 3rd, 2012 - 5:23 am by from Shanghai, China (Permalink)
This post has been removed by the user.

Deleted Post
Posted November 3rd, 2012 - 12:23 am by from Johns River, Australia (Permalink)
It is not normally more difficult for the French than from most western countries, the issue is applying in Ulan Baator and many other countries unless you have residency there.

Normallment ce n'est pas plus difficile pour les Francais que tout les pays de l'ouest. Le problem etait parceque on fait l'application en Ulan Baator, et c'est le meme dans beaucoup d'autre pays a moins qu'on a residence en ce pays.

Posted November 2nd, 2012 - 10:07 am by from Johns River, Australia (Permalink)

As you are going to China soon and have a tourist visa, we can only think of what you can get inside China.

The simplest is that you can apply for 2 more tourist visas (actually any visas for which you are eligible) inside China. I recommend you visit Travelchinaguide.com where the visa section explains what to do. (Oh and post a query there in the visa forum about your special situation, as there are many more people there who might be able to help) Anyway, after you have used up your two new visas (yes you get a new visa each time, not an extension) then you can get another 1 month tourist visa in either Hong Kong or Macau, and then again you can get 2 more tourist visas inside China mainland...and so on for ever!

There are specialist visas for artistic performers and journalists but you will need serious certification for these. If you want to find out more I suggest you ask around amongst foreigner in the artistic community to see what info they have.

As always, anyone else out there know more they can advise?