Location: Places >> Southeast Asia >> Myanmar
Login for full access to Couchsurfing Groups. Not a member yet? Join our community!

want to enter Myanmar overland from china
Posted December 30th, 2012 - 7:27 am by from Gelnhausen, Germany (Permalink)

I need your help!

I would like to enter Myanmar overland from china.

here my questions:
1. is this possible?
2. where can I get the visa?
3. where can i get the permission?
4. how much is the permission?
5. Do i need a guide? how much is the guide?
6. Can I leave the country on Laos boarder? I read its possible but only with special permission... where can i get it??

please help me!!


Posted December 30th, 2012 - 8:34 am by from Yangon, Myanmar (Burma) (Permalink)
Dear Peter ,

First of all , would like to advise you to fly in and out for Myanmar trip.

While you ask , is it possible to land to Myanmar from China , I have to say " Yes ". But , you don't have much time in Myanmar and visa is just for 4-7 days and moreover , you can't continue to other places such as Yangon ,Mandalay and Bagan and other . This visa is just for the town of border of China.

You have to apply Visa in China , please read under link to apply visa .


Permission Fees depend on where you are going.

If you are going to rural places such as Chin State , Kyaing Tong , you would need local guides . Normally , you will be charged around from 20-30 US$ / day for guide fees.

Last of importance information is fly in and out is the best way to visit Myanmar.

Have a nice trip in Myanmar.


Posted December 30th, 2012 - 9:27 am by from Gelnhausen, Germany (Permalink)
Dear Min! this was fast! thank you for that!!

I travel by bicycle. so I would like to enter from china, cycle around in myanmar and then leave to laos or thailand...

but it looks like its getting way far to expensive with a guide... also the regulations that I can enter only in the boarder area is not good news :(

i guess I will just take a flight via bangkok... if i come with my bicycle or not I have to see.
do i always need a guide to travel in myanmar???

Posted December 30th, 2012 - 10:23 am by from Berlin, Germany (Permalink)
"do i always need a guide to travel in myanmar??? "

Only if entering by land on certain MMT sanctioned 'tours'.

If entering by air you don't need a guide to travel in most of the places you will want to go.

Posted December 31st, 2012 - 12:09 pm by from Lijiang, China (Permalink)
yes possible to do, but expensive, like $350 per person, as need guide, driver, and escort for this section, as well as permit which takes a couple of week and depends on political situation at border

no can't leave except by flying out or back the same border