Location: Places >> Central Asia >> Taiwan
Login for full access to Couchsurfing Groups. Not a member yet? Join our community!

Can you leave Taiwan with a nearly expired passport?
Posted February 14th, 2013 - 5:49 am by from Las Vegas, United States (Permalink)
I have a question. If my passport is nearly expired, can I leave the airport in Taiwan? Will they let me depart?

I have two passports, an American one and a Taiwan one. When I entered Taiwan, I used the Taiwan one. My Taiwan passport is almost expired.

Can I use my American passport to leave? Or will they require me to use my Taiwan one?


Posted February 14th, 2013 - 6:30 am by from Las Vegas, United States (Permalink)
Also, if I end up having to renew a Taiwan passport, what's the fastest way to do it?

Can I go to a travel agency and have them do it? Or would I have to stand in a government passport office? I would prefer the former, because my Mandarin is not fluent, and travel agencies usually have English speaking staff.

The thing is, I hate walking into a place where I'm expected to be fluent in Mandarin just because I'm Asian. lol. That's one of the awkward things about being an ABC/Asian American in Taiwan; everyone has a wrong impression of you and assumes you are a local native just because you look Asian. Additionally, when you speak English or act like a Westerner here, people react with surprise and shock because they aren't expecting it from an Asian. lol.

So in a sense, it's hard to "be yourself" here if you are an ABC. Other ABC's told me they felt the same way. It's a sort of weird "culture shock" that's not usually talked about, probably because it only applies to Asian Americans. Anyone here ever experienced the same thing, either here or elsewhere?

Posted February 14th, 2013 - 4:25 pm by from Las Vegas, United States (Permalink)
You use the passport to depart, the same one u use to enter taiwan, they put a sticker in your foreign passport to be removed when you leave. If u enter with taiwan passport for your long stay in taiwan, then I think u have to get a permission stamp to leabe taiwan like all military age male