Location: People >> CS For All Ages >> 50s+ Travellers >> Seniors...55+
Login for full access to Couchsurfing Groups. Not a member yet? Join our community!

Need Advice
Posted March 23rd, 2011 - 3:47 pm by from Kingston, United States (Permalink)
I am getting ready to make my first trip back to Europe since I lived there as a child. Going to Munich. I am totally confused about the electrical plug/voltage thing. Everytime I try and talk to someone, I get all sorts of technological double-speak and eye-rolling because they are talking to a 50 year old plus woman.

Can someone tell me, in very basic terms, what I will need to bring with me so I don't have fireworks when I plug in my electrical items. Please don't try to show how smart you are by long drawn out explanation, theories and information. I just need basic simple. This is what you need. This is where you plug it.

I am planning on bringing my laptop, blow dryer, electric curlers, phone and camera jacks.

Thanks so much.

Posted March 23rd, 2011 - 5:18 pm by from Sao Carlos, Brazil (Permalink)
Hi dear,

I had the same problem last month staying in Vancouver. I was in need of an adaptor, asked to people and they told me where to buy it: In a eletronic shop. Tha's it!
The other option is to ask to a german CS member in the specific city where are you going, or on the web, I suppose.

enjoy your trip!

Posted March 23rd, 2011 - 5:20 pm by from Sao Carlos, Brazil (Permalink)
Saturn Electro Technocenter in Munich - Specialty Shopping Reviews ... - [ Traduzir esta página ]... about Saturn Electro Technocenter and other stores and shops in Munich. ... Anyone interested in electronics will enjoy comparing what's available at ...
www.frommers.com › ... › Germany › Munich › Shops - Em cache - SimilaresShopping in Munich, Germany - [ Traduzir esta página ]Munich Germany Shopping. ... Spread over five floors, this huge department store contains almost everything, ranging from clothes to consumer electronics. ...
www.redtag.ca › ... › Europe › Germany › Munich - Em cache - SimilaresMunich Shopping - Europe for Visitors - [ Traduzir esta página ]Page 9 of an illustrated, in-depth travel guide to Munich, Germany, at Durant Imboden's ... fashion boutiques, electronics shops, shoe stores, housewares emporiums, ... Dubai gold shop The Munich Tourist Office has published a bilingual ...
europeforvisitors.com/munich/.../munich-shopping.htm - Em cache - Similares

Posted March 23rd, 2011 - 8:33 pm by from Nelson, New Zealand (Permalink)
Hi Julie,

For items that have a swich for 110v or 220v just switch over and then get an addaptor e.g. US to UK.

Be careful because the voltage is 220-240 v in Europe/UK/Ireland. This means that you need to step down the voltage. For your laptop, the PC company should provide a 220-240 v power connector and it will usually have a Euro or UK plug attached. This costs but is worth it.Or buy from a electronic shack store in US.

Don't just use a US to Euro//UK adaptor without step down power unit.

Hope this is not too technical.

It is easier going UK?Euro to US because the voltage is lower and doesn't do any harm if incorrect.

Take Care

John Turner

Posted March 24th, 2011 - 12:31 pm by from Kingston, United States (Permalink)
So basically, I will need two items. An adapter to change the plug and a device to, for lack of a better word, filter down the voltage coming in?

Posted March 24th, 2011 - 3:36 pm by from Tunis, Tunisia (Permalink)
that is right have a good trip .
I have the same problem when i was in united states i buy equipements for oversea and usa .
have a good trip

Posted March 25th, 2011 - 1:13 pm by from Paris, France (Permalink)

all europe is 50hz 220 volts
but plugs may differ according to the country, especialy in uk
you will find plugs here when you arrive
or you buy a new dryer here

Posted March 30th, 2011 - 12:58 am by from Alamo, United States (Permalink)
This is the best adaptor "in the world" it converts ie switches plug sizes so you only need one adpator for all countries. Brand is Travel Easy, Universal Travel Adaptor with Surge Protection. We liked it so much we accidently bought two. LOL


WARNING it is NOT a transformer. Transformers are huge and heavy. Computers, etc don't need them today-they are an old time solution.

We bought the first one at an airport shop, the second-don't remember. We both travel alot so we bought two-but have only used one.

Posted March 30th, 2011 - 9:14 am from Essen, Germany
This member has chosen to allow only Couchsurfing members to see their group posts. To see this full converstion, sign up or log in.

Posted April 14th, 2011 - 9:46 pm by from Alamo, United States (Permalink)
The adaptor I mentioned works for every country with just a twist-lock. It is small and easy to carry. Some countries depending on region can utilize more than one type of plug.

Posted March 30th, 2011 - 2:36 pm by from Millsboro, United States (Permalink)
As it happens, I'll be cruising to Europe this May. Though I'll be shipboard most of the time, I'm expecting to spend some time in Barcelona( hint hint, looking to couch surf there if someone will have me! )
Having this device will be a great help. Thanks for the link,

Posted March 30th, 2011 - 2:39 pm by from Millsboro, United States (Permalink)
Please help! I went to the "scorpio" site referenced in the reply email and can not find the adapter you mentioned.....

Posted March 30th, 2011 - 2:59 pm by from Jupiter, United States (Permalink)
Hi Anna... this site is much more reliable for adapters;

Posted April 1st, 2011 - 11:25 pm by from Millsboro, United States (Permalink)
Thanks ! I just bought one!

Posted March 30th, 2011 - 12:39 pm by from Jupiter, United States (Permalink)
@Julie...amazing how many posts your request generated. It's simple. I hope you solved this issue but if not, get a small INTERNATIONAL TRAVEL ADAPTER.
That takes care of the world.

Posted April 3rd, 2011 - 2:05 pm by from Kingston, United States (Permalink)
Everyone, Thanks for all of the advice. I think I will be good to go!

Posted April 2nd, 2011 - 4:00 pm from Calgary, Canada
This member has chosen to allow only Couchsurfing members to see their group posts. To see this full converstion, sign up or log in.

Posted April 2nd, 2011 - 4:56 pm by from Auburn, United States (Permalink)
I saw good plugs at Target in the luggage section. I got a set also from my Mobal phone which I will be using. Target also has an 8 dollar converter, plus some bagini bags that are cheaper than elsewhere

Posted April 14th, 2011 - 9:56 pm by from Alamo, United States (Permalink)
I used to use the kits and carried the little case along everywhere, but the all in one takes 1/10 the space is complete for all countries. We bought then at airport shops and worth their weight in gold. We each have hone.

Posted May 4th, 2012 - 2:16 pm by from Moers, Germany (Permalink)
Sorry, I just saw your thread.
What you really need is an Europe Converter if you travel around Spain, France, Germany.
For the US electricals you need it 220V til 240Volt to reduce. Get one at the store in the USA. You won´t get it in Germany and than take the europe adapters with you.The Europe Adapters you can get in Munich without difficulties.
You don´t need to take your blow dryer with you. They have it in all hotels or just ask for it. For the phone and camera jacks you just need the europe Adapter.
Have a nice save trip.