• I'll be staying in Beijing over CNY and I'm stuck on whether to stay in the big smokey city or go to another City. Does anyone know of things going on in BJ over the holiday?
    Private_message
    almost nothing, native family will gather together, most entertainment place will shut down since worker from other province will beck to hometown, I suggest u go to southern city where is warmer :)
    Private_message
    Firework is definitely worth to see. U can go to see some temple fairs, this is kinda traditional thing to do during the new year.
    Private_message
    Beijing will be almost empty since people from other provinces will go back home. Staying in a hostel with others may be fun.
    Private_message
    It is a good idea if you like firecrackers ,fireworks,and dumpling, when chinese new year people will play fireworks on the street, you can see them everywhere
    Private_message
    but i dont think its too bad to stay in Beijing. first fireworks will be same as anywhere in China. and go to south part of China. its not mean warmer. maybe only like go to Hainan island or somewhere near by HK. its warm. because south part China. no Public heating. Like SH or Hangzhou,. i have been to HangZhou during Xmas. i was wearing same as what i wear in Beijing. and in your room you will wearing same . because its cold. AC might help,.but not alot. so in Beijing you can go to Ice skating in HouHai lake. its fun,. and Festival temple fair ( you will see some chinese culture and alot people) also. you can go to park. its empty. so you can take nice photo without alot people (sorry its cold to do it ) only up what you like.
    Private_message
    雍和宫 such as yong he lama temple, if u stay in beijing, it will have many activities in this city, very traditional.
    Private_message
    Thanks for all your replies :) I wasn't back in Beijing for the celebrations last CNY and the responses from some people I knew were 'nothing happens in Beijing except fireworks' and 'everyone leaves to go on holidays somewhere warm' no one had mentioned temple fairs and things going on in the Hutongs. Maybe I'll get the best of both worlds - stay for the first week, travel second week :) thanks everyone. Sara x
    Private_message
    hello sara, nice to meet u here, r u coming bj in the Chinese NY? if yes, probably we can hangout together as i will stay here
    Private_message
    If u could find a small town\village has traditional Spring Festival activities in the south (normally), do not waste the time in BJ.
    Private_message
    if you can find a friend to hang out ,maybe somethings will be fine,orelse i don't know what could you do in beijing,i am native people,in spring festival ,beijing is a empty city,but the Temple fair you could go to see
    Private_message
    I'll be here! Definitely want to check out a temple fair :D I missed them last year, let me know if you want to go!
    Private_message
    How many days does the temple fair n firecrackers goes on for?
    Private_message
    the "firecrackers" is just some common people using some firecrackers....is really nothing special, is very noisy and annoying....
    Private_message
    i wont suggest u to go to south cos of the weather.
    but u'll see something different in the forbidden city if it snows.
    besides, most of the temple fairs will not be closed until Feb 16.

It looks like you're posting an email address or phone number. To protect your privacy, don't post any personal contact information here.

• It looks like you're posting an email address or phone number. To protect your privacy, don't post any personal contact information here.