• Hi there, I live in Atlanta, GA and I was planning my 2 weeks vacation in Turkey. I am coming with my sister and I maybe a friend. We first decided to stay in Istanbul and so I was wondering about where to stay for a good price and of course, safe :)
    Private_message
    it is titanic hotel
    it is normal prices rooms very good service
    it is in kartal istanbul anatolian side of the city
    Private_message
    It would be better to stay in Old Peninsula area because you will be really close to tourist attractions such as Blue mosque, st. sophia, topkapi palace etc.. You can search any hotel in that area depending on your budget...
    Private_message
    Hii ferrani you should be close to old city blue mosque area it s a my recomenadtion for stay even if u wish u can be my guest
    Private_message
    As you can sort of see from the responses, there are two main areas that people will recommend you stay in... either near Sultanahmet -- which is the tourist center of the city, super convenient for sightseeing, etc. -- or in Beyoglu (including Taksim, Galata, Cihangir, etc.), which is more the modern, cultural part of the city (galleries, cafes, nightlife, shopping).

I would recommend the latter, for the following reason: the food is better and cheaper. Food in Sultanahmet tends to be overpriced, because there is no shortage of tourists who don't know what the price should be, and don't care when they're hungry from a day of sightseeing. Whereas in Beyoglu, there is a wealth of more "local" places... astonishingly high quality for cheap!

Also, transportation is simple from Beyoglu -- you can take the tram (or even walk) to Sultanahmet, you can take the metro if you need to go to the "modern" city (shopping malls, etc.), and you can catch ferries to the Asian side.

I'd recommend having a look on AirBnB if you want to rent a place for two weeks. There seem to be some beautiful places on there. One word of caution: make sure to stay on the side of Tarlabasi Boulevard that's closer to "Istiklal Caddesi" unless you're ready for a slightly rougher, "seriously local" atmosphere. (Not that I'm completely dissing Tarlabasi -- I live there! But it might be a bit of a culture shock upon arrival... and it has a bad reputation.)

I would recommend above all to stay in the area called Cihangir... it's kind of famous for expats, which can be good or bad, but is beautiful with many sea views and lovely little cafes and great restaurants, all hidden away in charming cobbled streets lined with antique shops and such. Really lovely area.

Good luck! Feel free to write with any questions.

(Oh, and I should mention that there are also some enthusiasts of the Asian Side -- particularly Uskudar and Kadikoy -- who would recommend you stay there... personally, I'd say go visit, but stay somewhere that's better located transportation-wise for where you'll spend the majority of your time.)
    Private_message
    Thanks for ll the answers! I have been planning this trip for some time now and I decided to go to 3 cities: Istanbul, Izmir and Antalya so I'd rather not blow all my $ on flats and hotels!! I want to see the cities and spend most of my time out!! My sister and I want to experience Turkey from the inside out. We are extremely excited about this trip and we want to meet locals and get to experience Historical parts of the country! So our plan is 5 days in Istanbul, 5 days in Izmir and 2 to 3 days in Antalya! Again thank for all your help. Amel
    Private_message
    2 days enough for izmir even maybe 1 day in izmir and 1 day for ephesus no need stay 5 days in izmir.

Cheers > Alper
    Private_message
    You can find nice and cheap hotels near Sultanahmet. It's safe and historical part of İstanbul. Which date you will stay at İstanbul? Maybe i can host you and your sister at my home. Please contact me.
    Private_message
    good choice istanbul is fantastic city you will fall in love when you come here. Here is very very historical and diffrient from other cities you feel like you are in 1900 when you visit sultan ahmet area but when you turn your back you will see the most modern city . istanbul is really modern and istanbul is chosen one of the best modern and cultural city in europe in 2010

-- secondly : istanbul is so safe city . you will understand it when you come here even if you wear precious stuffs or even if you walk alone at night nothing happens feel ok to go everywhere . trust me . ı have a american friend she is english teacher in the universty of Kocaeli . she says here is so safe ı cant belive it if ı walk on at 3 .00 a.m in the united states . most probably somethings bad may happen to me but here is so safe so dont worry :) trust me :) have a nice trip in istanbul :)
    Private_message
    Again! Thanks to all!!! By the way, I will be in Paris this week end! If someone wants to have a cup of coffee or want to see Paris, let me know!
    Private_message
    I am also in Paris this week, and fly to Istanbul this WE.. let's meet if you are interested!

It looks like you're posting an email address or phone number. To protect your privacy, don't post any personal contact information here.

• It looks like you're posting an email address or phone number. To protect your privacy, don't post any personal contact information here.