• Has anyone attempted this? There are so many secluded, hidden, and undeveloped parts of the island where it would be so easy to pitch a tent...

Might be a budget option for adventurous couch surfers....
    Private_message
    Let me know what you find out this sounds right up my alley
    Private_message
    It can definitely be done. Police in Hulhumale' are too busy looking for tourists wearing bikinis on the beach to trek through the bush for hours to find illegal campers...

The best places I've observed are near the ferry terminal, across the street and to the south.
    Private_message
    Is it possible to stay up over might walking around and then sleep some on the beach I am bringing a tent with me for the summer may 16 to June 2nd. Either way I will go for it, I would feel better if I had someone with me or knew the night police situation
    Private_message
    Night* instead of might
    Private_message
    Sleeping on the beach is too risky, being in the open, exposed. Although I've seen people pitch tents during the day, at night you must find somewhere more out of sight (there are many such places...).
    Private_message
    I was thinking finding a place to stay up and walk around at night without being to conspicuous or out of place. And then take naps on the beach just me laying on the beach I. The day like a normal tourist on a very quiet island is this feasible on any island? Are there any places besides airports that are always open? Thanks
    Private_message
    Yeah, if you can find somewhere to hang out during the night, you'll be alright with sleeping on the beach during the day... There might be parts of the beach that are secluded enough for night sleeping, but I haven't explored the entire waterfront...
    Private_message
    Are there any type of coast guard or cops that check beaches at night? How are the cops with tourists in general thanks again
    Private_message
    Pigs are always patrolling the beaches.
    They would not be too happy to find you sleeping on the beach because tourism is highly regulated here to maximize the country's income (it depends upon tourism...).

Any transgressions would not be meet with relaxed enforcement...
    Private_message
    Hello,
    maybe my question is a bit stupid but why going to Maldives in that way ? I traveled there some weeks ago and Hulhumale is not a "beautiful" islands as others ones in Maldives. And there is nothing much to see nor to do. If you are a very low budget I guess traveling to Lanka or Thailand would be better (and its not worth to pay a flight ticket to there to live like a fugitive !).
    Well just my opinion, hope it helps...
    Take care
    Private_message
    Jardineur, you are so right... But for some reason, the Maldives has a great appeal to even budget travelers...
    Lanka and Thailand are definitely better places for the average backpacker.

But just in case someone does end up in the Maldives, this is an option for a few nights while figuring out why the hell they are here in the first place.

Great post.
    Private_message
    summer monsoons hit andaman coast harder than maldives. Lanka is not the Maldives either.
    Private_message
    thanks for the reply, are there restaurants or low budget rooms on the inhabited islands or islands outside of male that would be possible to stay at. i am basically looking for the cheapest way to just lay on a deserted beach all day. Maldives is ideal because the inhabited islands seem to be quieter and i might have a chance to home stay or stay in a cheap spot you recommended. thanks in advance for any help,
    shane
    Private_message
    I guess I am going to be the only one who would share a real experience on that topic :-) I think for a lot of people (at least for me) the idea of camping in Maldives is not primarily to save money but people just tend to have a crazy idea of camping on the beach on the small island… There is something cool and properly amazing about it :-)

Anyway the experience. Arriving a few years ago first time we wanted to do just that. We had inflatable couches that were awesome to have a nap during sunset and when it went darker we started to search for a spot on a Hulhumale main beach close to BBQ. First we tried on the main beach but as more time passed the more crabs were around you and sooner or later hundreds or thousands of them will either scary your or bug you or I guess if you are too sleepy just it you (kidding :-) ) anyway we headed for other spots close to the barbeque area after we found a great spot. 30 minutes later we found tent full on ants - biting ones! So I called my friends in Male, at 11 in the night went there and we found some hotel (you must have a back up if u r going to experiment that way!).

Even after we stayed on uninhabited island and camped there (yup, were really did that dream, 3 people, 2 tents and all island just to us!!) even there crabs were crawling all around and gave a very very bad time waking up at least myself in the night. So here you go. You can experiment of course with camping, there is nothing to compare the morning sun breaking up and you open the tent laying on the beach with the view to the ocean on a deserted island (or just a beach) ... nothing will compare to it! But do have a back up if something goes wrong. And if u r lucky to camp anyway do stay a few times with locals. The do rely a lot on tourists!

I do have a question though to all budget people visiting Maldives to share the experience how they entered the country. I always either had a booking or had an invite from friends and as far as I was told you can not get a Visa on other basis. I heard there is an option to show that you have some money or something. But us is like 700-1000USD per person. What is your experience on that?
    Cheers and always remember safety first!
    Private_message
    that is exactly what im talking about, thank you so much. Where did you camp and what would be the repurcussions if they found you? i would like to camp on an unihabited island is there any chance anyone would really find you and would you ever do it alone?

I am planning on going alone in the summer because i dont think anyone would be willing to do this with me if anyone does let me know.

thanks and keep in touch please
    shane

It looks like you're posting an email address or phone number. To protect your privacy, don't post any personal contact information here.

• It looks like you're posting an email address or phone number. To protect your privacy, don't post any personal contact information here.