• SEXUAL ASSAULT ABUSE RAPE SAFETY THIEFT ROBBERY

I have just been informed by an Ambassador that a couchsurfer has been sexually assaulted. The surfer got a text message saying something like "Hey, saw your number on CS, I'm new in town, want to catch up for a drink?". The incident has been reported to the police and is being investigated.

- DO NOT POST YOUR NUMBER ANYWHERE ON THIS SITE
    - DO NOT POST YOUR FACEBOOK CONTACT ANYWHERE ON THIS SITE
    - DO NOT POST YOUR EMAIL ADDRESS ANYWHERE ON THIS SITE
    - DO NOT POST YOUR HOME ADDRESS ANYWHERE ON THIS SITE
    - DO NOT AGREE TO MEET ANYONE WHO'S PROFILE YOU HAVE NOT READ COMPLETELY
    - IF YOU FEEL UNCOMFORTABLE, GRAB YOUR PASSPORT AND WALLET AND LEAVE TO A PUBLIC PLACE WITH LOTS OF PEOPLE.

I would like to keep commentary on this topic to an absolute minimum. This is just here as a warning for people using the site. If you want to have a discussion about this I respectfully ask that you create a new topic. The only replies to this should be "up" or "bump"

Please keep a copy of this post as it may be deleted. If it is deleted please repost the exact same message again. The first line is for search engines so hopefully it will get indexed and appear close to the top of search results. Please also keep bumping up the post so it stays visible.
    Private_message
    I’m posting as Couchsurfing’s Head of Safety. For legal and confidentiality reasons, we are not able to give details about any particular case. We take such allegations extremely seriously, and want to take the opportunity to remind you all about how to have safer experiences while using Couchsurfing.

Please remember:

* Places Pages are public spaces. Do not post your contact information in these pages - communicate with new people directly through the website. Review profiles of members you want to meet in person, check references, photos, etc. Information (or lack of it) helps you to make a more informed decision.
    * Your safety is important. Make informed (not hasty) decisions. Get to know other members online before meeting them offline, when possible.
    * If you have arranged a Couchsurfing stay and it isn’t going well, leave, or ask that person to leave your home.
    * Report issues you have with other members directly to Couchsurfing though our Helpdesk using this link: https://couchsurfing.zendesk.com/tickets/new

For more information, please visit our safety center: http://www.couchsurfing.com/safety
    Private_message
    safety is a four letter word

forget all that crap,,, that's the *old* CS community,,, the *new* CS company wants as many empty profiles as possible writing random crap everywhere

How can safety compare with the joys of helping CS to make more money,,, we all need to do whatever we can to help CS makes the monies
    Private_message
    I posted this information as all other methods of educating members have been removed from the site. No guidelines, no descriptions and no community details are available on the site. The site has become less safe for inexperienced members to use.
    Private_message
    I am new to this website, and to be honest a bit skeptical about giving my info here. Your post Don is kinda eye opening for me, tanx man
    Private_message
    @agri - For the most part this is an amazing community and when you start to meet people you will realize how many genuinely awesome people there are in the world. I do encourage you to use the site but get an understanding of how to use it safely.
    Private_message
    The new terms of use state:
    4.3 Member Content License. If you post Member Content to our Services, you hereby grant us a perpetual, worldwide, irrevocable, non-exclusive, royalty-free and fully sublicensable license to use, reproduce, display, perform, adapt, modify, create derivative works from, distribute, have distributed and promote such Member Content in any form, in all media now known or hereinafter created and for any purpose, including without limitation the right to use your name, likeness, voice or identity. [...]

It's safer to put your personal data on facebook or google rather than here.
    Private_message
    With the entire site indexed by google and every post public by default it is really unsafe
    Private_message
    Don , I think it's true specially for the part of U'r sentance

KGB ? no but ....

It looks like you're posting an email address or phone number. To protect your privacy, don't post any personal contact information here.

• It looks like you're posting an email address or phone number. To protect your privacy, don't post any personal contact information here.