• Hi everyone! So I went to book flights to Iceland for me and boyfriend for his birthday without thinking how expensive the country is (ooopsie!). Now we are struggling to find affordable accommodation and transport around the country. We are mainly interested in the main tourist attractions (Reykjavik, Geysir, Blue Lagoon, glacier). Could anyone give us tips on how to get around? We've come across some tourist bus companies, but what are the bus companies that are preferred by the locals?
    Private_message
    unfortunately there really isn´t a very cheap way around. if you contact a couchsurfer named bragi (you can find him on my frields list) he gets 10-15% discounts with many of the tour operators (of no benefit to himself.) i think netbus would be the cheapest option for bus but another option (obviously depending on road conditions) is renting a car. the bus will cost around 15,000isk for 2 people (very rough numbers) and renting a car will cost ~5000isk and fuel for the golden circle around 5-6000isk. as for accommodation, this *is* couchsurfing, have you considered using it? ;) otherwise i guess it depends on how much you´re prepared to pay. there are the 3 main hostels in rvk and as for guesthouses i can personally vouch for "our house" which is the #1 guesthouse in rvk (and posibly iceland) for a reason.
    Private_message
    Bustravel.is is a nice company and I have dealt with them before and not had complaints. (it's the same company as netbus).
    Private_message
    It also depends on when you are getting here?
    If in the summer time you can easily hitch hike and camp, buy your food in Bonus-the cheapest supermarket- and get lots of booze in the duty free so you dont have to buy any in the very expensive state run store and bars. If it´s not hitch hiking season, you can rent a car and share it with other surfers. Also, like James mentioned, have you considered couchsurfing?
    I hope you will figure something out, I know this country is very expensive but lots of people manage to travel it with very low budget :) It´s worth it!

It looks like you're posting an email address or phone number. To protect your privacy, don't post any personal contact information here.

• It looks like you're posting an email address or phone number. To protect your privacy, don't post any personal contact information here.