• Hi,

We are a group of four French persons, 2 girls and 2 boys: Mailys, Laurine, Simon and Aurelien. We’ve been friends for 8 years.

We come in New Zealand to discover the country, the landscape, and meet new people. We already travelled for one month in the south island with a car.

We’ll arrive in Wellington around the 22 or 23 December and we’d like to spend one week, at least, in this city for Christmas and the New’s Year Eve!
    We’d really enjoy meeting people on this occasion and sharing some times with them. We are easy going and nice persons and we love having fun!

We’re open to any propositions of activities for this event. Otherwise we can propose if you are tempted to grab some beers and try to discover the city together.

We hope to see you there!
    Cheers,
    Mailys, Laurine, Simon and Aurélien
    Private_message
    Hey Mailys, Laurine, Simon and Aurélien,

I just thought I'd let you know that since moving to Wellington, I have heard one consistent piece of advice from other international students living here: 'Get out of Wellington over Xmas and NYE, the city shuts down.' I'm not saying that everything will be closed if you're here at that time, but you might want to reconsider visiting Welly on those dates.

It's a great city, has a great nightlife and has a ton of fun things to do, but it might not be that great over your proposed dates. Most people head to the beach over the holidays.

Just thought you'd want a heads up.

Later,
    Matt
    Private_message
    ...which is one reason why Wellington CS people tend to organise a lot of gatherings - walks, beach trips, BBQs, parties, coffees, etc - during that period.
    Keep a eye on the forum and on the events board.
    Private_message
    Im not gonna be here over that period but did just want to say that on New Years Eve in Welly everybody comes out to party and its usually standing room only in a lot of bars and clubs and queueing (??) to get drinks and so this is why i avoid going in to town for new year!! So im a bit baffled by that previous post....Courtney Place goes off!!
    Southern Cross Bar has the best garden bar in town so check that out,Its a great starting point, and good fun playing giant jenga (just ask the bar staff for the blocks).
    Oriental Bay beach is a must visit and I imagine it will be cranking if its a sunny xmas day, likewise Eastbourne but that is a fair way out in the Hutt Valley.
    And remember, drinking alcohol in public is an offence, so if you plan on having a few on the beach, keep it VERY discreet!
    I reckon you will have a blast here, good luck.
    Private_message

I'm a traveller as well but have been living in this lovely tiny city for 4 months now!

I don't think any of my local friends would be here for this holiday, so am keen to go and do something!

I live in a big house with awesome flat mates, our flat is about 5 minutes walk to Lambton quay, so come by if you are in town!! I have the best tea ever to share with!

I'll still be working rather than the day of the 25th(I work for oversea company, we don't have Christmas holiday!)

Orchid
    Private_message
    Hi, we are two french guys too who have no plans yet for Xmas.
    I think the best idea is to enjoy Xmas in a backpacker, it could be fun, because all the bars are closed this night...

Also for New Years Eve there is a great festival (La De Da), a bit expensive, but we could have fun :)

We keep in touch!
    Private_message
    Hi! I am going to Wellington to spend New Year would be lovely to meet up and hang out with you guys. Keep in touch!
    Private_message
    Hallo guys, i'll be in welly during new year's eve me too.see you soon!
    Private_message
    Still trying to find a house for a proper party, but no luck..*sigh*..can't host here as I am subletting an he roomys aren't keen..anyone out there down for an earlier meetup NYE day to do coffee and then see how it goes? Maybe come up with some evil plans???
    Private_message
    There was a good house party last year, very busy. Is Doug still around? Otherwise, yes, volunteers to host a party?

Facebook, the free'n'cheap lit and wotzon, etc have quite a lot of bars with things on, but usually not free...
    Private_message
    I live right in Courtney Place in the Soho building. My apartment is free to host some people. Though my place is pretty small. You won't get more than 15 people in here. The good part is it is super close to the bars so we can meet up for some drinks and head onto the town when we want.
    Private_message
    There was some talk last night about a semi-organised plan involving the city council event and a bar...maybe a house before or after......someone should post it up here so we all know.
    Private_message
    Hey,

We just decided to organize with our flatmates a dinner/party for New Years' Eve. We cannot invite too many people, sorry!
    So if you are interested send us an email on my profile.

Enjoy the end of 2012 and maybe we can meet and grab some beers in 2013!
    Cheers.

Mailys, Laurine,Aurélien and simon
    Private_message
    Hey everyone, seems my NYE plans also fell over so I'm up for whatever might be happening on the night. Bar scene, apartment party or general meet and greet with you locals.
    Private_message
    hi there! i was very sick this past week- had to cancel on a roadtrip and festival i was meant to be going to with all my friends. feeling a bit better today, would love to do something 2moro eve, countdown the new year togetherr :) ill keep checking on here for details
    Private_message
    hi there! i was very sick this past week- had to cancel on a roadtrip and festival i was meant to be going to with all my friends. feeling a bit better today, would love to do something 2moro eve, countdown the new year togetherr :) ill keep checking on here for details
    Private_message
    oh my god it kept saying error!! sorry everyone!!
    Private_message
    So, NYE plan; waterfront (where and what time?) then bar (which? when?)

Is there anyone wanting to meet up in the afternoon or do a house party before then?
    Private_message
    Hey everyone,
    I arrived in New Zealand one week ago and hoped to have any plans for New Year`s up to now, but that didn`t happen^^
    So is there a party or meeting or whatever I can still join? :)
    Private_message
    Yes, there's the plan I posted 2 posts above...but we don't have details yet.
    Private_message
    Hello people,

There is also a Latin band at Plum cafe from 8 to 10pm.

Mithun.
    Private_message
    I'm going to be at Southern Cross Bar at 6:30 for food and beer. Unfortunately, left my phone one the bus. I will be sitting outside and have a piece of paper with "CS" on it in the middle of the table. Place seems pretty cool music starts at 8:00. If I get some replies, I'll repost closer to 6 to confirm.
    Private_message
    Bump.
    I'm planning to make it down to Southern Cross this evening so will keep an eye out for members and the "CS" table. This is gonna be my first couchsurfers get together and am looking forward to it.

Anthony, 0276965789
    Private_message
    heading to southern cross now
    Private_message
    Thanks to the various 15-16 people or so who joined us at various times of the night as we merged and split, went to houses, mountains , bars, concerts, non-fireworks, etc. T'was a good night.

It looks like you're posting an email address or phone number. To protect your privacy, don't post any personal contact information here.

• It looks like you're posting an email address or phone number. To protect your privacy, don't post any personal contact information here.