• Hey!
    Me and my friend are going to visit Tokyo in April(14-30.04). We would love to see Kyoto as well and maybe some other places outside the city. We are thinking of buying JR pass. We can have it for 7 or 14 days, however, I dont know if it is worth it, as most of the time we want to stay in Tokio. Can you travel to a lot of places in the city center with JR pass? I would be so greatful for any of your opinion
    Thank you!
    Ewa
    Private_message
    I have done some research on this myself while the JR pass can be a great value ticket it requires a lot of pre planning and timing.

If you are mostly going to be in Tokyo but may take a trip to Kyoto then the JR pass is a waste for you. However if you are going to buy the 1 week pass and in that 1 week go Kyoto, Hiroshima, Osaka, Fukushima, Nagasaki or atleast 3 or 4 of them in that 1 week period then it becomes a good buy.

Think hard about where you want to go and how long you want to spend there. Ask google for public transport directions on google maps for all your train journeys and it will give you the price aswell. do some math and determine your best course of action. I myself am a freeform adventurer and will not know the exact dates or how long I will be in one location. As I will likely go only to Osaka and Kyoto (besides Tokyo) and not in the same week the JR pass is a waste of money for myself. Not everyone is the same though.
    Private_message
    Hey! thank you for your reply, and yes, unfortunatly I will have to do more of planning before going. When are you coming?
    Private_message
    I will be landing on 15th March
    Private_message
    If your stay is around 2 weeks, I think the suggestion above is just about right. The JR pass can be a great value if you use it for long distance travel. Kyoto is a very good place outside of Tokyo so I suggest you spare some time going there. I think I have a good itinerary plan for a 1-2 day visit in Kyoto somewhere in my files :-) I'd be glad to share it if you need it.
    Private_message
    Hi, one round trip to Kyoto + one way ride from Narita to Tokyo is almost equivalent to 7days pass. Thus if you are thinking of one more short trip in a week, it's worth to buy. :) Bus pass is another good solution but bus services are quite limited...while trains for Kyoto depart every 5-10 min and no need to make reservation. It's so easy ride like subway.
    Private_message
    Hey! Thank you so much for all responses! It helped a lot, although after knowing it all, it doesn't make any more easy to organize it :)
    Private_message
    It's worth for me. I traveled from Hokkaido : Obihiro-Sapporo-Hakodate-Aomori-Tokyo-Osaka-Hiroshima-Kanazawa-Kobe
    in 7 days

It looks like you're posting an email address or phone number. To protect your privacy, don't post any personal contact information here.

• It looks like you're posting an email address or phone number. To protect your privacy, don't post any personal contact information here.