• Hi! any Hitchhiker in japan out there?? I am planning to go to japan on 23rd February and stay for a month and if possible hitch south from Tokyo. If you wanna join me, suggestions, idea or any la la la please leave me a message! :D
    Private_message
    Hi, I had experience of Hitchhiking from Tokyo. The most difficult point was to find a car to leave Tokyo among millions of cars inside this huge city. My suggestion is picking a car at the entrance of Tomei Expway (see the map below). You also can try Gas station or Mcdonald's drive through nearby the entrance to catch a car, as long as you don't bother their buisiness. :) Once you go out to the rural area it would become easier. Anyway wish good luck and nice trip with you! https://maps.google.co.jp/maps/ms?msid=203618579794466170946.0004d26cd9bdd087d1ebf&msa=0&ll=35.627425,139.629085&spn=0.012209,0.013797
    Private_message
    Hey Cass!
    I will definitely hitchhike around Japan, not sure when yet.
    Anyway, for now you can check this page in case you don't know it http://hitchwiki.org/en/Japan
    As written there, it seems difficult to hitchhike the regular way, but rather easy when asking directly people (have realized that being true in general anyway, in my 30000+ km hitchhiked in dozens of countries).
    My personal experience in Japan: I've tried once, a few days ago, inside Tokyo, with a transport cart, a fridge, mirrors and so on... first people I asked accepted to take me!
    Enjoy! ◕‿◕
    Private_message
    Did it once. Suggest to check this guide beforehands: http://wikitravel.org/en/Hitchhiking_in_Japan

Probably won't be able to join you (have college and lotta stuff to do), but wish you luck and experience as cool as it gets.
    Private_message
    Its really helps if you where bright colors and have a sign in Japanese of the place your trying to get to
    Private_message
    thanks for all the tips everyone! I am still hoping to find a hitchhike partner even just for a short hitchhike spree because I really want to try hitching in japan but not alone because its my first time in Japan. I hitched alone in new zealand and australia before but this time I prefer to do it with a partner. I dont have to hitch from tokyo eventhough that is my first city i'll probably start hitching after i leave tokyo.
    Private_message
    I want to join you, but I'm also first time to Tokyo.I stay there from 21st to 26th Feb.
    Private_message
    How did this go? I'm planning on hitching across Japan in May.
    Private_message
    I personally started to hitchhike since then...
    In Hokkaido, and from Tokyo to Shibu Onsen (Nagano Prefecture) and back. No problem at all. Actually as long as you talk to people (like at a parking area) it's really easy if they go your way.
    As well I hitchhiked twice inside Tokyo... once with a fridge and other stuff, another one with a bed :D First time the 1st person I asked agreed, second time took maybe half an hour.
    Enjoy!
    Private_message
    I also have experience. We were two Turkish girls travelling from Shizuoka to Kyoto... It was a real fun but sometimes it might be difficult if you cant speak Japanese. We even hitchhiked to a truck.. I tried hitchhiking in Japan many times. But almost every Japanese was saying it was really dangerous. So it might be better to do it at least with two people ^.^
    good luck. for more questions, you can pm me!
    Private_message
    hi all! so i:ve done a bit of hitchhiking from kagoshima to hiroshima. it was really good and people were really nice. i hold a cardboard written my destination in kanji and hop from service are to service area. the longest i have waited was 45minutes but the soonest is before i even hold up my cardboard, someone saw me crossing the road and stopped for me. in japan eventhough they don:t hitch but when they see your cardboard they know you are hitchhiking. so its pretty easy. i only started learning japanese when i arrived last month and i could hold simple conversation with them. i learn as i go. so eventhough japanese is not good but i can still communicate with simple words and hand language. and just human connection! have fun! ;) i might even come back in april/may to do a whole hitchhiking trip across tokoyo to hokkaido.
    Private_message
    Glad you had such a good experience Cass

One thing I forgot to mention: most of the time, when I stopped at a parking/service area and had to find another car, my drivers got out of their car and actually asked people for me!
    I've had that in other countries before, but never as much as here I believe! (I guess because I've never had so much difficulties to explain what I wanted, so once they got it they want to make it easier and ask, in Japanese, for you :D)

Enjoy! ◕‿◕
    Private_message
    Yup exactly. That happened to me too. Half of them asked for me and waited until I get in the next car! And I never got thirsty or hungry they ALL offered me food and drinks. One even gave me two kumamoto bear keyring as souvenir, one for my parents!
    Private_message
    I'm planning on hitchhike around Japan for a couple of months, right now I'm just hanging out in Tokyo area. Have no plan yet where to start or exactly when, but within a few weeks, need to look at a map first maybe. :)
    Private_message
    I might come back to hitch north from Tokyo next month. Want to try camping too. Maybe we will cross paths. Have fun! :-D
    Private_message
    Yes, we should try to get together. Camping is right what I would love to do again, did some hitchhiking and camping in Laos, and I'm kinda missing it now..
    Private_message
    i dont know, but the best is buy ingredients and cook at home. italian pasta, olive oil, pamasen cheese, basil, organic tomatoes, rock salt, black pepper, cured meat, crust bread and red wine. simple :)
    Private_message
    yes Kim, and probably try to catch the sakura in hokkaido around 5-15 May. not sure if it will still be too cold for camping though. it'll be fun if we can get together and do hitching tour. we can do couchsurfing + camping.
    Private_message
    Yes, definitely, lets make it happen! :)

Just let me know by PM whenever you're here.

It looks like you're posting an email address or phone number. To protect your privacy, don't post any personal contact information here.

• It looks like you're posting an email address or phone number. To protect your privacy, don't post any personal contact information here.