• what is the hospitality industry like in Vancouver? Is it feasable to assume a lot of it is under the table, & most employers in the area are chill & easy going? I'm obviously not a citizen to be asking questions like that, but I am a commonwealth subject (Australian). So I can come in for holidays without a visa, but I'm not supposed to earn an income without a proper working visa (takes a minimum of 3 monthes, doesn't guarantee you'll be accepted either).

Can anyone help with some advice, as I would like to make my stay affordable & keep overheads low by supplementing cost of living with some sort of income? Even if it was for tips only, a working visa would be great, but I don't have the moolah or time to waste waiting for it to be approved.

cheers :-)
    Private_message
    Canada is a pretty by-the-book country... you could 'maybe' find something casual in the outskirts of metro areas or a dodgy hotel!
    Private_message
    yeah I think you're right Dani, it's by the book & I don't want to get banned from your country for 10 years. I should look into the volunteer side of it as Poeleke suggested, alot safer & may tide me over with low overheads giving me enough time to apply for the temporary work visa, find a sponsor employer, do it the right way. Maybe Craigslist would have some private enterprising individuals for cash jobs as I need it too.
    Private_message
    Hey Marc mate, you've got no issue. You can legally apply for a temporary student working visa whilst you're in Canada, as you're studying. Check out visas on the Canadian Embassy website... don't run the risk if you don't have to man :-)
    Private_message
    A word of caution for anyone thinking of coming to Canada and hoping to land a cash-in-hand job. Your biggest barrier is border control, getting through immigration. Upon arrival you will be asked at length about what you plan to do in Canada and those 'travelling' for more than a reasonable time (a month?) could easily be asked for email and Facebook passwords. This has happened to people I know visiting for a month - if they go through your Facebook/email get a sniff of anything (THIS POST!) you could easily be denied entry.

My point is, be careful ;)
    Private_message
    Well I guess I'm screwed then! Not! I agree be careful, but don't be intimidated either, they can smell weakness so don't be so nervous unless you have something to hide; they're asking direct questions to rattle you. I've decided to do it the right way, as not worth the risk of being banned for next 10 years, when I have enough money to survive. Oh, & don't come with 'only $20 in your pocket'. Go to the effort of having money in the right currency, & the right amount for your stay, & shouldn't be a problem... as money talks, & be walks. The other point is I'm also a Commonwealth country, we look after our own, I don't require a visa, but I still do if I want to work.
    Private_message
    I can't possibly see how it's legal for them to go through your emails and facebook messages. On top of that, you can just say you don't have a facebook account and give them an email that you used 5 years ago
    Private_message
    once you're sprung you're sprung, then honesty is always the best policy. but remember you can always apeal the fist customs officers decision, & take it to another... I've seen it done, & I've seen a 2nd opinion pass it through. They aren't all arseholes with a god complex, majority of them are quite welcoming & want to process you through..
    . they aren't all haters.
    Private_message
    @Adam, if I hadn't heard it myself from real people, I actually never would've believed it, especially of Canada. The news reported the same thing when a Canadian tried to cross to the USA - demanding passwords, searching accounts & determining inadmissibility; incidentally that guy was banned from the USA for 5 years.

I think the caution here is to be very careful.

@Robert I hope you have a wonderful stay and who knows what opportunities will encounter you :D
    Private_message
    Cheers Dani & Jeff, I'm going to do the right thing by Canada & apply for a working visa; especially if there are people out there like Corrina willing to help. I'm sure whether I get sponsorship with a working visa, or only allowed a short stay of 1 month, I'm going to love it; as you have a strong couchsurfing community following in Vancouver. Cheers guys :-)

It looks like you're posting an email address or phone number. To protect your privacy, don't post any personal contact information here.

• It looks like you're posting an email address or phone number. To protect your privacy, don't post any personal contact information here.